The Muskoka Ratepayers’ Association is calling on those who have an interest in good local governance to consider running for office in the upcoming Municipal elections. Municipal government is responsible for providing services and infrastructure such as: Roads, Local Policing, Water and Sewers, Fire and Ambulances, Parks, Docks, Boat launches, By-law Enforcement, Recreation Facilities and Programs, Planning and Building Services.
We also look to our local government to provide a vision and leadership as we work to create a better community for all residents.
If you are interested, your nomination papers must be filed between May 1 and July 27.
Candidates must be:
- a resident of the municipality or a non-resident owner or tenant of land in the municipality or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant;
- a Canadian citizen and at least 18 years old;
- not legally prohibited from voting; and not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.
Here are the District of Muskoka and Township of Muskoka Lakes offices up for election:
- Chair: District of Muskoka
- Mayor: Township of Muskoka Lakes
- District and Township Councillors: (1 each from Wards A, B, and C)
- Township Councillors: (2 each from Wards A, B, and C)
For more information, here is a link to an excellent reference with a full explanation of what is entailed in a run for office: Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) – On-line training: ‘So You Want to Run for Council 1.0