This is election year in the Township of Muskoka Lakes, and the Muskoka Ratepayers’ Association wants to bring you all the information on the election itself and the candidates running for office so that YOU can make an informed decision. For many years, the MRA has taken the stance that it will NOT endorse any candidate, or select potential candidates that are “aligned” with our vision for Muskoka, and we stand firm in that belief.
Muskoka is actually a very diverse community in the sense that:
- Some of us live here year round, and make our living here, some doing well, and others living well below the poverty line
- Some of us are seasonal residents living in modest cottages that have been passed down through the generations
- Some of us run businesses in Muskoka – some of which operate year round, and others that are totally dependent on the seasonal residents
- Some of us are fortunate to have built “cottages” that have every convenience known to man and can be rented out for up to $100,000 per week.
- Some of us recall the Muskoka of steamboats, Dunn’s Pavilion, Elgin House and shuffle board, and Greavette wooden launches
- Some of us value swimming at the beach, canoeing, and sailing
- Some of us prefer wake boats and jet-skis
- Some of us recognize that everything must evolve and are open (perhaps reluctantly) to change
- Some have established the lifestyle of their dreams, and want nothing to disturb that
- We are white, English, French, indigenous, from countries around the world, poor, comfortable, rich
In other words, we come from many backgrounds, beliefs, goals, and reasons for being drawn to this wonderful region of Ontario. This is a community open to all, but NO group or organization speaks for all of us, and no such group has the right to impose its choices on others.
Again, the Muskoka Ratepayers want to help inform ALL people eligible to vote in the October 24th election about the candidates who have presented themselves to serve us in elected office.
To this end, the Muskoka Ratepayers are providing a number of ways that you can be informed and make up your mind in the coming election. These include:
- A variety of articles that describe various aspects of the election:
- The sponsoring of an All Candidates Meeting on September 24th, 2022, 10 AM, at the Port Carling Community Centre where you can hear from all the candidates for office and be able to submit questions to them – All Candidates Meeting Information
- A publication in which the candidates respond to written questions that the MRA has asked, and to which they have responded in their own words – available to members after the All Candidates Meeting
- Resources from the Township and other sources: